Popular Posts

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day 6: Lemon Sorbet in Princeton


Comes to mind as another small

upheaval

amongst the rubble.

His eye matches exactly the bubble

in my spirit-level.

I set aside hammer and chisel

and take him on the trowel.



The entire population of Ireland

springs from a pair left to stand

overnight in a pond

in the gardens of Trinity College,

two bottle of wine left there to chill

after the Act of Union.



There is, surely, in this story

a moral. A moral for our times.

What if I put him to my head

and squeezed it out of him,

like the juice of freshly squeezed limes,

or a lemon sorbet?

...The Frog by Paul Muldoon, born in County Armagh, residing in County Mercer at the big university.

Although Paul Muldoon is a great poet, please do not squeeze any frogs after having read this poem, okay? (Look.   I'm not sure that I really understand this poem.  Help me out if you have any ideas.  sometimes poems are just for words and fun.  Is that it?)

Keep reading and writing,

Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment