Popular Posts

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 13: Red Lights on the Highway


I was eighteen. The Garden State Parkway.


The police car in the bushes of the meridian,

its red light bar like an eyelid suddenly

opening, six eyes flashing about wildly,

looking for me.



"It's an ambush," I thought.

Me, who had my whole empire

in control - even the hairs on my head

were soldiers standing in order, helping me conquer

what I thought I had to own.



I was eighteen. The gas pedal was like all

physical things, destined to fall downward.

And now I confess

I don't remember anything

about the ticket - its cost or the cop



whose hand wrote my birth name

in the tiny squares, incorporating

my identity into the system.

In years I'd know he was just

doing what he had to do - as was I.



"Here's your ticket," he said,

as if he were an usher

whose job was to rip things in half.

"What am I entering?" I thought.

So my empire began to fall on a shoulder



of the Garden State Parkway-

not usurped really, but undermined.

I was eighteen and falling

through society's turnstiles-

college, speed limits, combing my hair



into a daily unnoticeable-

a work of art whose strength

was that it didn't particularly stand out,

like driving well. I drove off,

pushing the accelerator pedal



to the exact angle of, say,

the Tower of Pisa.

How I wanted to topple it.

How it became the only thing in my world

that could ever rise back
 
...Emperor by B.J. Ward, Changewater
 
Changewater?  Well, that's a new one on me, too.  Changewater recently made the New York Times as the home of delicious rutabagas!  (Tomatoes and blueberries watch out!)
B.J Ward is a fine teacher of poetry and an even better teacher of teachers of poetry.  In this poem, he has sprung from a cage, not on Highway 9, but on the Darkway.  Topple a tower today.
 
Keep reading and writing,
 
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment