Popular Posts

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 15: Pay up, Americans, or we will cut back on our poetry!



Over and over--refrain--of the Hospitals--still haven't written your


history--leave it abstract--a few images

run thru the mind--like the saxophone chorus of houses and years--

remembrance of electrical shocks.

By long nites as a child in Paterson apartment, watching over your

nervousness--you were fat--your next move--

By that afternoon I stayed home from school to take care of you--

once and for all--when I vowed forever that once man disagreed with my

opinion of the cosmos, I was lost--

By my later burden--vow to illuminate mankind--this is release of

particulars--(mad as you)--(sanity a trick of agreement)--

But you stared out the window on the Broadway Church corner, and

spied a mystical assassin from Newark,

So phoned the Doctor--'OK go way for a rest'--so I put on my coat

and walked you downstreet--On the way a grammarschool boy screamed,

unaccountably--'Where you goin Lady to Death'? I shuddered--

and you covered your nose with motheaten fur collar, gas mask

against poison sneaked into downtown atmosphere, sprayed by Grandma--

And was the driver of the cheesebox Public Service bus a member of

the gang? You shuddered at his face, I could hardly get you on--to New

York, very Times Square, to grab another Greyhound--
 
...from Kaddish Part I  by Allen Ginsberg, Newark
 
A bit of Beat poetry for the worst day of the year.  Rebel!  Do something different with your taxes.  Pay them in pennies.  Write a check and attach a poem by Ginsberg or Ferlinghetti.  Write a check and send it in a birthday card to Uncle Sam.  Howl a bit.
 
Keep reading and writing,
 
Maureen

No comments:

Post a Comment